problem summary

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: problem summary
From: Esfandiar Tabari <Esfandiar_Tabari@HUGOBOSS.COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:45:54 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi all,

I have tried to summerize some selectionproblems and solutions, which has
mentioned last time in this mailinglist:
everybody can complete and correct it....

Best regards

Esfandiar Tabari
Hugo Boss Network Operations Center
Tel.: +49 7123 94 2581
Fax: +49 7123 94 82581             e-mail: esfandiar_tabari@hugoboss.com

1)get information about database-usage:   ovobjprint -S

2) to be sure there is nothing remaining in the object database,
topology database, or map database:

1. ovobjprint -s [object]
2. ovtopodump -rl [object]
3. ovmapdump -m <map> | grep [object]

3)  Null value in Collection substring:  using "~"-operator
       an example:
((('SNMP sysLocation'~'^$') || ('isSNMPSupported' = False)) &&
('isNode' = True))

4)Only the NetView daemons are set up to core into /usr/OV/PD/cores.  The
user GUI will always coe into the home directory of the user who started
the process.     If the coring process is ipmap or ovw_binary, we could
format the nettl logs,
      netfmt -f  /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG00 > formatted.LOG00
      netfmt -f  /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG01 > formatted.LOG01
to see if there is more information available about what happened.  Then
we will need to run the
     /usr/OV/service/readcore
utility to get a stack trace.  The utility requires you to have dbx
installed.

5) Cannot open map:  Run the following commands:

/usr/OV/service/reset_ci     /* resets Netview to the hostname of the
machine it is executing on . */
/usr/OV/bin/mapadmin -u default:<hostname>     /* resets  the default map
to the hostname of the machine Netview is executing on. */
/usr/OV/bin/mapadmin -u <map_name>:<hostname>

6) Client&Server Ports (NetView before firewall):

The following NV server daemons seem to establish connections with the
client processes (use lsof utility to see them specifically):

ovwdb 9999/tcp
nvcold 1664/tcp
ovtopmd 8888/tcp
C5_server 1668/tcp
nvsecd 1663/tcp

The processes on the client that establish connections with the server
daemons are as follows:

nvsecltd 1667/tcp
collmap (port allocated by portmap)
nvevents (port allocated by portmap)
ipmap (port allocated by portmap)
ovw_binary (port allocated by portmap)
dispsub (port allocated by portmap)
C5eui (port allocated by portmap)

portmapper allocates port numbers dynamically for most client processes.
For instance, they listened on ports in range 41xx-43xx/tcp when ran GUI.
Also, it depends upon which applications we have registered with NV.
Snmpd uses 161/udp/tcp to talk with trapd on 162/tcp/udp.

7) transfering scripts from NT to AIX: If using ftp, instead of using
binary transfer mode, use ascii as it
will take care of the translation.  For a simple shell script that will do
the
job:

sed 's/^M$//' file > file.temp && mv file.temp file

The two characters above: "^" and "M" are supposed to be one character.  If
using the vi editor, we can type a control-M by first typing control-V then
when we type control-M it will be represented as ^M.  we can see that when
we
are done, because when we move the cursor across it, it will only see one
of
the two symbols in "^M".

8) transfering scripts NT --> AIX:

Before we transfer the files, we must have to do is run the following
command:

        dos2unix -ascii filename filename

9) searching hardware-address:

/usr/OV/bin/ovtopodump -L | grep -i 0x111111111111

10) actionsvr Performance problem

               ps -ef | grep actionsvr
               dbx   -a  <process id>
When we get the (dbx) prompt back type in the  word   where  and we'll
get a stack trace of what actionsvr is doing.
When we are done issue  detach at the (dbx) prompt.  Otherwise we will
kill the process (which we may want to do anyway) if we exit of ctrl-C
out.

11)  Forwarding events to NetView/OS390: tralertd :

tralertd is a special daemon for use with the NetView Host Connection (also
known as Service Point) to forward NetView events to a mainframe running
NetView/OS390.  If you have not installed Service Point, or it is not
active, then tralertd will shut down immediately after we start it.
Normally this daemon is not registered.
     /usr/OV/bin/ovdelobject /usr/OV/lrf/tralertd.lrf

12) Netmon traps & debugging:

after netmon is running try a "netmon -M 5" to start netmon debugging
(for other debugging levels see manpages for netmon) and then look at
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace (tail -f /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace) to see what
netmon is doing.

13) Web integration for 5.1:

there are two places for integration:

(1)  Diagnostics
     Place files under /usr/OV/web/registration/Diagnostics

(2) NavBar
     Place files under /usr/OV/web/registration/NavBar

we can add your own icon links to the navigation bar and the diagnostics
panel - make sure to put your icons in
/usr/OV/web/httpd/htdocs/TME10/NetView/images/icons   <phew>

we can also replace the page /usr/OV/web/httpd/htdocs/index.html with our
own index.html page so we can have a different front page than the default
NetView web server front page

14) How to create account for Web accessed user:

 we have two choices:
 1.  Create an account on Netview server with read-only permission. Use "
 smit mkuser" command if your Netview is on AIX platform.

 2. Deactive the WEB password function  on Netview server:  Procedure:
      2.1  vi  /usr/OV/web/hpptd/conf/access.conf
      2.2  comment out the all lines  of  "Required Valid -user"
      2.3  save the file.
      2.4  stop  and restart web server on Netview server.

15) trace the rulesets: nvcdebug -d all

16)   startup nv5:

     To set this up, set the following two settings in the
     /usr/OV/app-defaults/OVw file:

       OVw*toolPalettePresent:           False
       OVw*navTreePresent:               False

we can also copy this file to the $HOME directory of the user who starts
the GUI and change it just for him, or put the new values in his .Xdefaults
 file.

To iconize the Tool Palette and Navigation Tree at start up, set the
following two settings in the
     /usr/OV/app-defaults/OVw file:

       OVw*toolShellIconify:                  True
       OVw*navTreeShellIconify:               True

17)  Netview cannot delete obsolete node info:

If we are sure that you cannot locate this object in any map or we only
have one then try this:
(1) ovmapcount -a     (this causes the creation time of all objects on the
map to be updated)
(2) ovtopofix -a (if we have only one map) or ovtopofix -A is we have more
than one

18) ...