Rule trouble

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Rule trouble
From: Dirk Goeldner <DIRK.GOELDNER@LHSYSTEMS.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:05:25 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi there,

we are running NetView 4.1 for AIX 4.2.1 and try to create a special
ruleset. Our purpose is to wait 10 minutes between a "node up" and a "node
down" event. If both events, concerning the same node, occur within the
given time no action (like sending a mail) should take place (e.g. reset on
match). Vice versa an action should start after 10 minutes.
We tried so with a two-path rule. One path for "node up" and one for "node
down", both leading into a "reset on match"-block. The "reset on match"
compares both incoming slots, whether the two (different) events occured.
Example in pseudo-code:
IF WHITHIN 10 MINUTES "node down" NOT EQUAL TO "node up" = TRUE then RESET
else ACTION sendmail

Futhermore we do not understand the features:
- "reset on match" SLOTS ? What are the slots for ? "node up" = slot 1;
"node down" = slot 2 ?
- match on multiple events ?
- how are contents of parameters (like a local or global variables) given to
a invoked program like mail(-daemon) ?

best regards

Dirk Goeldner
LH Systems, Avitrium, R 2.06