Re: Rule trouble

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Rule trouble
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:56:28 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I think you are making this harder than it is.  Take a look at the samples
provided and extrapolate.
What you describe is not appreciably different from the sampcorrNuNd.rs
provided, except that it does a pass-on-match rather than a reset-on-match.
The difference is that the event in slot 1 is passed after the timer
expires unless a match occurs first in the reset case, while the event is
not passed unless a match occurs before the timer expires in the pass case.
You just want to replace the pass-on-match node with a reset-on-match node,
and increase the timer.  Then you want to replace the Resolve with an
Action.

Think of these two ruleset nodes as being a kind of go/nogo filter.  An
event comes into slot 1 and is held for some period of time.  When another
event comes into slot 2, the characteristics of it are compared with those
of the event in slot 1, according to the criteria given by the user.
Either a match occurs or it doesn't.  If no match, we take the default
action.  In a reset, this means pass the event along to the next node of
the ruleset; in a pass, it means to throw it away and halt execution of the
ruleset for that event right there.  When a match occurs, we take the next
step.  In a reset, we stop execution, and in a pass, we pass the event
along to take the next node.  They are just the obverse of each other.

A match on multiple events is useful if  you think the event in slot 2
might be used to match multiple events in slot 1  In
a node up/node down situation this is not usually the case because you
should not get another Node Down after the first unless you got an
intervening Node UP, but not all events are like that.

Actions are passed the contents of the event as environment variables, as
described in the NetView Administration Guide.  For example, $NVA is the
agent address or hostname, $NVC is the community name from the event, and
$NVATTR_1 is the first trap variable, $NVATTR_2 is the second, and so on.
See the Admin. Guide for what others are available.

The only other book I know of which discusses rulesets is the IBM redbook,
Examples of Using NetView for AIX Version 4, SG24-4515-00.

Hope this answers some of your questions
Good luck.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Dirk Goeldner <DIRK.GOELDNER@LHSYSTEMS.COM> on 01/11/99 05:05:25 AM