Re: NetView 5.1 on NT 4.0 SP3

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 5.1 on NT 4.0 SP3
From: Otto Fuetterer <Otto.Fuetterer@DIGITAL.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:49:34 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello Matthew,

I have just checked Microsoft Technet and found two articles describing
similar problems
with other products, maybe this is Your problem as well.

Regards

Otto

SYMPTOMS
========

When you try to start any of the Internet Information Server (IIS)
services, such as the World Wide Web, Gopher, or FTP Server services in the
Internet Service Manager, the service does not start nor does it give a
message indicating a problem.

If you double-click on the computer name in the Internet Service
Manager, the following message appears:

    Unable to connect to target machine.

Trying to start any of the IIS services with the Services tool in Control
Panel, results in the following error message:

    Could not start the (FTP, Gopher, or World Wide Web) Publishing Service
    service on \\computername

    Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked
    for deletion.

No messages are logged in the event log.

CAUSE
=====

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service is not installed.  All of the IIS
services depend on the RPC Service.

Additionally, if the TCP/IP protocol is not installed, the same symptoms
result.

RESOLUTION

1. In Control Panel, double-click the Network icon.

2. Select Add Software and then install "RPC Configuration."

3. If TCP/IP is not installed, install it using the Network tool in Control
   Panel, as described above.