Three problems with NetView V5.0a on WinNT ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Three problems with NetView V5.0a on WinNT ?
From: John Abram <John.Abram@DIGITAL.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:54:58 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi

I have recently picked up the task of 'supporting' a customer NetView (TME
10) V5.0a on Win NT V4.0 INTEL installation. Although I have some experience
as a user I have not had configuration or management training so these
questions hopefully are simple to answer :-)

I have three identified problems that I have to try and get quickly fixed:

1. a third party system has recently been modified to generate and send snmp
traps to our NetView system. These traps report on the system status
changes, as they occur (hopefully infrequently) and are intended to have the
relevant icons on the maps change colour to reflect status. We have seen
that traps do indeed cause the icons to change colour but the status is
being reset (almost immediately) by the subsequent ping result (ok). I would
expect there to be an attribute (either on the icon or map) to have the icon
reflect the highest severity received trap (until cleared) not just reflect
the most recent status input from the ping. Is there a way to have NetView
display this behaviour ?

2. The customer has at some point in the past tried creating submaps from
the default map and got into problems with cut and paste operations
resulting in lost objects. They were advised, by a separate consultancy,
that they should simply copy all the objects, in the default map, and paste
them into their own custom map. Then they could construct submaps and move
symbols without messing with the object database. This the customer has done
but is now complaining that new objects, after being autodiscovered, are
being displayed in the default map but are not getting replicated into their
customer map. Furthermore, when they try and cut&paste an icon/symbol (for a
newly discovered object) from the default into their custom map it doesn't
appear to be copied over - is there any configuration flag to have all newly
discovered objects automatically copied to the new custom map or is it a
manual step. If it is a manual step what steps should they follow ?

3. Finally, the customer has NetView installed on several PCs, two of which
have lost their hard disks (over the last couple of months) and the customer
has had to manually recreate their custom maps and submaps. They have asked
how to backup their configuration database so that in the event of having to
rebuild another PC they can simply restore the backed up files and get back
their custom configuration.

Any and all help would be much appreciated, even if only pointers to old
mails in the Listserver database

Thanks

John

John Abram

Solutions Architect
Communications Industry Solutions Practice
Network and Systems Integration (NSIS - UK)
Compaq Computer Limited

*  [+44] 118 9203544  (Office)   *  [+44] 118 9203726   (FAX)
*  [+44] 370 610218  (Mobile)     *  830 3544                  (DTN)
*  john.abram@compaq.com  (Internet)