Locked Out By Security

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Locked Out By Security
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:00:08 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I have a test box upon which I run Netview V5R1.   I have been happily
running Netview with Netview Security turned on for a while.  Today
however I made the mistake of authenticating as the web security user
from my root
login.   As such I don't have the authorisation necessary to:-

1. run nvsec_admin
2. run the ovw_binary

I have tried various things ( including the standard procedure for
enabling
a non-root user for the use of nvsec_admin ), but had no luck.   I have
heard
tell of un-documented procedures for dealing with this sort of thing.
I am
very interested in learning a way to recover from such a situation
without
having to rebuild my Netview install.

Regards,

Simon Long