Re: Security Issue -Respuesta

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Security Issue -Respuesta
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:55:05 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I just checked, it is apar IX85814, just created. Apparently this section
of the doc has
been a fib for a really long time.  The code checks for actual uid rather
than effective
uid. No efix at this time, and I have no knowledge of where they are in the
fix cycle,
so we will have to watch the list of fixes included in the patch we have
all heard is
coming (don't ask me when...) In the meantime, be root, that's my motto.

Leslie:

Is there a FIX for this bug ?
If the answer is yes, where can I get it ?

Thank you!!!
Adrian

>>> Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> 28/01/99 03:22 >>>
This is a known bug.

================
Hi all,

There is a procedure to give security administration to a user different
that root.
This procedure is on page 2-11 from NetView Administrator's Guide Book.
If you excute each step, when you try to run "nvsec_admin", I get the
following message:

<>ERROR: User must be root. Permission denied for "nvsec_admin"

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

                                                             Adrian