Re: Cisco devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco devices
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:49:24 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Ok, I'll take a stab at this. Once the concepts are clearer, the Admin
Guide will prove a
valuable tool.

The MIBs have nothing to do with the symbols. The MIBs help you query the
values of
MIB variables known to the snmp agents on the Cisco devices using the MIB
Browser
- BUT only if Netview is using the correct community string. Under
Options..SNMP you
tell Netview what community string to use for those devices. You can also
plug in
community strings when you use the MIB Browser.  If you are not the person
who configures
the devices, talk to that person about what the community strings should
be. It is like
a password. The read/only community is sufficient. Netview uses 'public' by
default.

As for the symbols, and the position of the devices in the different levels
of the submaps,
Netview has to know what kind of device it is (router aka gateway,
hub/bridge, etc). It
decides these things based on entries on the file /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type.
If you
have configured the correct snmp community to be used for this device,
Netview will
have retrieved and stored the SNMP SysObjectID for the device in the object
database.
Check this with Tools..Display Object Info. It should say that the device
is snmp-supported,
and list an OID like 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.something for Cisco devices. If it does
not, then you are
not communicating with the device via snmp.  Fix this first as described
above.

 If it IS in there, then that OID must not be defined to Netview in the
oid_to_type file.
Once you get it defined in that file (see the Admin Guide for help with
this), then
delete and rediscover them and Netview will give them special symbols
(gateway,
repeater, etc) and place them at the correct levels of the submap. You can,
but should not
need to, pick your own symbols for them.

Your description of your problem leads me to suspect that you do not have
snmp access
to these devices, and the MIB business is just a false trail although you
will want them for
the MIB browser after you get the snmp access problem solved.

After initial discovery, my cisco devices showed up as generic
devices.  I've imported the MIB definitions for Cisco that came
with NV ver. 5 as well as the other devices on my network.  I
expected to see a symbol that described my routers, under net
devices or connector.  The closest I could find was multiport or
gateway, but I can not browse the mib for my cisco routers using
those symbols.

I confess I'm learning this in my spare time with little support.
I'm glad I discovered this forum.  I hope I don't become a pest
with too many "newbee" questions.

Gudell, Mike
Email: mike.gudell@cpa.state.tx.us
"Texas State Comptroller"