switched environment support -Reply

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: switched environment support -Reply
From: Hal Dorsman <DORSMANH@SPH.HBOCVAN.COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:55:05 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This has been on my wish list for a long time.  Presently it does not.
IMHO, IP-centric autodiscovery is obsolete.  What about it Tivoli experts?
Any hope for a layer two discovery soon?

Hal

>>> Matt Ashfield <mda@UNB.CA> 02/09/99 10:41am >>>
Hi,

I am wondering if Netview provides a mechanism or add-on to support
MAC-Address based network configuration. For example, the way
Netview works for us now, say we have a Network segment (Net 160),
with pc's connected to it. When a node goes down, we know it is on 160
and where it is physically located.

------+-----------+--------+--------
       |            |         |
   Net 160    pc      xxx

We are moving to a switched environment, based on MAC-Addressing.
So a PC on Net 160 connects to an 8271 (8271A below) device which in
turn is connected to an 8274 (8274A) device. This 8274 device could be
connected to other 8274's. The pc is part of the virtual network 160
defined in the 8274 device. If we move the pc to another physical
location, and connect to a different 8271(8271B) which connects to a
different 8274 (8274B) the pc can still be part of the vlan 160. If the pc
goes down, it will show as such in the 160 segment, but we will have no
way of knowing where that node is physically connected.

  pc   ===>  8271 device A    --move--     pc  ==>  8271 device B
                        /                      pc              /
         8274 device A       connected       8274 device B
              net160          <========>       net160
               netX                                        netX
               netXX                                      netXX

Does Netview provide any support for this? If not, is there an add-on
product?

Thanks,

Matt
mda@unb.ca