Re: UnAcknowledge - $0.02

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: UnAcknowledge - $0.02
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:56:09 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi, Haakan;
It is known for NV5R0 that if a collection definition contains isCard=True,
then collection members
are incorrectly displayed (fixed in NV5R1). You may try isInterface=True which
works the same by me.
I have the same collection and see just interface symbols therein (am at NV5R1).

Best regards,
Vladimir.

Haakan Andersson wrote:

> Hi,
> Leslie's tip sounds interesting so I created the Down Interfaces
> collection
> with the rule
> isCard=True and IPstatus=Critical.
> However, when browsing the collection it contains gateway symbols, I
> expected to see
> interface symbols in there!!
> Is this a normal behavior or is something wrong?
>
> Environment:
> NetView AIX 5.0
> AIX 4.2.1
>
> Best Regards,
> Haakan Andersson
>
> Here's the really useful thing I do with Ack at each customer I visit:
>
> Make a collection of Down Interfaces (cards that are critical) and a
> collection of Problem
> Nodes (nodes that are critical or marginal). The parent nodes of the
> interfaces are  then in the
> other collection. Check things in Problem Nodes,  and ack their
> interfaces
> if you know the problem
> is being worked on. The idea is to keep the map green so you know when
> something else
> goes down. And you will never lose track of what has been acknowledged,
> since the Down
> Interface collection will contain all of them, red or dark-green, since
> their status is still critical.
> This is especially helpful at operator shift-change, and takes no work
> at
> all to implement.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Leslie A. Clark
> IBM Global Services - Systems Mgmt & Networking
>
> My two cents worth about Acknowledge / UnAcknowledge
>
> Let me elaborate a little about how Acknowledge / UnAcknowledge works.
>
> When you acknowledge an interface (dark Green) the purpose is to have
> the node turn back to Green so that Green propagates up the hierarchy of
> submap levels.
>
> There is no need to UnAcknowledge an interface because
> UnAcknowledgement happens automatically the next time
> netmon successfully pings the interface.
> The interface is automatically is set to "UnAcknowledged" (Green)
> when the status returns to normal.
>
> If you manually UnAcknowledge an Acknowledged interface it will surely
> turn back to Red because it is still down and netmon has not been able
> successfully status poll the interface.
>
> Note: I always recommend that you acknowledge at the interface level
> only.
> You can Acknowledge at the higher levels (node, segment, network, IP
> Internet)
> but your results may not be what you expected.
>
> Follow Ralph Schiffinger's instructions is one way to find all of those
> objects
> by status. You may be able to build a collection for these objects as
> well.

> Don Davis - Consultant, Instructor
> Alliance of Professionals & Consultants, Inc.
> 8600 Caswell Court
> [...]

Vladimir Petr
DATASYS s.r.o.
mailto:petr@datasys.cz

"What's important is not simplicity or complexity, but how
you bridge the two." (Larry Wall)