Re: UnAcknowledge - $0.02

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: UnAcknowledge - $0.02
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:28:06 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Here's the really useful thing I do with Ack at each customer I visit:

Make a collection of Down Interfaces (cards that are critical) and a
collection of Problem
Nodes (nodes that are critical or marginal). The parent nodes of the
interfaces are  then in the
other collection. Check things in Problem Nodes,  and ack their interfaces
if you know the problem
is being worked on. The idea is to keep the map green so you know when
something else
goes down. And you will never lose track of what has been acknowledged,
since the Down
Interface collection will contain all of them, red or dark-green, since
their status is still critical.
This is especially helpful at operator shift-change, and takes no work at
all to implement.

My two cents worth about Acknowledge / UnAcknowledge

Let me elaborate a little about how Acknowledge / UnAcknowledge works.

When you acknowledge an interface (dark Green) the purpose is to have
the node turn back to Green so that Green propagates up the hierarchy of
submap levels.

There is no need to UnAcknowledge an interface because
UnAcknowledgement happens automatically the next time
netmon successfully pings the interface.
The interface is automatically is set to "UnAcknowledged" (Green)
when the status returns to normal.

If you manually UnAcknowledge an Acknowledged interface it will surely
turn back to Red because it is still down and netmon has not been able
successfully status poll the interface.

Note: I always recommend that you acknowledge at the interface level
only.
You can Acknowledge at the higher levels (node, segment, network, IP
Internet)
but your results may not be what you expected.

Follow Ralph Schiffinger's instructions is one way to find all of those
objects
by status. You may be able to build a collection for these objects as
well.

Don Davis - Consultant, Instructor
Alliance of Professionals & Consultants, Inc.
8600 Caswell Court
Raleigh, NC 27613-1100 USA    Phone: 919-847-6056
Pager: 800-759-8888  PIN# 1462396
Email: Don@apc-services.com
Visit our web site at http://www.apc-services.com