Re: Wrong community name in Netview internal events/traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Wrong community name in Netview internal events/traps
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:00:05 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I have two words for you:   Call Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Mark van Kerkwyk <kerkwyk@COMTECH.COM.AU> on 02/12/99 02:00:46 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
cc:    (bcc: James Shanks)

Hi ,
     I'm still trying to solve an old problem which I've had logged for a
while now. We don't use public for our read only or trap community name.

It appears that all Netview internally generated traps are not being sent
to localhost with the correct community name. Everything else works fine
except for the locally generated traps from within Netview.

I'm running Netview 5.1 on Solaris 2.6 and all community names appear to be
set correctly in both the OS and with Netview, other local traps appear to
be sent correctly.

I'm not sure whether the community names like public11,public16,publicc
mean anything, maybe they are just spurious grep errors and I'm still
trying to work out what "NVA=0.108.108.103" could refer to.

Any ideas ??  Below is an extract from the file I log to all of the time, I
log all environment variables which have NV in them.

Mark :-)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NVATTR_8=0
NVATTR_4=