Re: Ruleset

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:19:35 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Craig Morgan wrote:

> The ruleset is for running in the back background. It's a simple
> ruleset, it will Email and page the appropriate people on call between
> 6:00PM and 7:00AM. I just need help setting up the time period.

I would suggest that you create a shell script and set it up as an
inline action node in your ruleset, just before your page node. Make
sure you filter everything you need before this stage (you don't want to
call an inline for every trap!). The script would be something like:

#!/bin/ksh
if [[ $(date +%H) -lt  7 ]] || [[ $(date +%H) -gt 18 ]]
then
    exit 0
else
    exit 1
fi

The return code for the inline to allow the event to be passed onto the
next node is 0. Timeout would be something sensible like 5 seconds.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting