Re: Calculating utilization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Calculating utilization
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@KARDINIA.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:40:21 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,
Embedded answers to your questions below
At 08:33 AM 2/23/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have a question related to calculating the percentage ring utilization in
>the /usr/OV/conf/mibexpr.conf file.
>
>To calculate the abovementioned value for a Token ring hub with RMON
>support, I make use of the mib value: .1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.3.1.4, which is
>translated:
>mgmt.mib-2.rmon.statistics.tokenRingPstatsTable.tokenRingPstatsentry.tokenR
>ingPstatsDataOctets
>This value is then multiplied by 100, an the result divided by
>.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.5 (IfSpeed).
>The result should then be the percentage ring utilization.
>
>Question number one:      Is this the best and most accurate method of
>calculating Ring utilization?

ifSpeed is in bits/sec, so octets (per second, see below) should be
multiplied by 8
(and 100 for %)

>Question number two:     If I browse the mib, the tokenRingPstatsDataOctets
>value keeps rising. In other words, it is not a Delta Value.
>               Does anybody know how these values get converted to give a
>delta value each time the graph is updated?

The NV data collector calculates deltas and divides by poll interval length
to give a rate before storing the value.

>Thanks
>
>Wouter de Bruin
>Network Consultant
>De Nederlandsche Bank
>Externe E-Mail wordt door DNB niet gebruikt voor het aangaan van
>verplichtingen
>Any e-mail messages from The Nederlandsche Bank are given in good faith but
>shall not be binding nor shall they be construed as constituting any
>obligation on the part of the Bank

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software
jfernand@kardinia.com