Calculating utilization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Calculating utilization
From: Wouter de_Bruin <W.M.de.Bruin@DNB.NL>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:33:46 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi all,

I have a question related to calculating the percentage ring utilization in
the /usr/OV/conf/mibexpr.conf file.

To calculate the abovementioned value for a Token ring hub with RMON
support, I make use of the mib value: .1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.3.1.4, which is
translated:
mgmt.mib-2.rmon.statistics.tokenRingPstatsTable.tokenRingPstatsentry.tokenR
ingPstatsDataOctets
This value is then multiplied by 100, an the result divided by
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.5 (IfSpeed).
The result should then be the percentage ring utilization.

Question number one:      Is this the best and most accurate method of
calculating Ring utilization?
Question number two:     If I browse the mib, the tokenRingPstatsDataOctets
value keeps rising. In other words, it is not a Delta Value.
               Does anybody know how these values get converted to give a
delta value each time the graph is updated?

Thanks

Wouter de Bruin
Network Consultant
De Nederlandsche Bank
Externe E-Mail wordt door DNB niet gebruikt voor het aangaan van
verplichtingen
Any e-mail messages from The Nederlandsche Bank are given in good faith but
shall not be binding nor shall they be construed as constituting any
obligation on the part of the Bank