Re: data collection on switches

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: data collection on switches
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:42:37 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Here's a repost of the warning on this subject that appeared recently. It
is very difficult to
explain to a customer that it is the device's fault when your management
tool takes down
part of the network. I have been asking customers about these devices and
code levels
when I walk in the door, just to be safe.

>Hello all,

>Thought I'd pass on a problem I ran into today. Whilst investigating a
slow response >problem I attempted to obtain the status of a port in
Expanded View. This upset the agent >to the extent that it rebooted the
5000BH and took down our ATM network...you can imagine >my
embarrassment!!!!! The agent is an MCP v3.2.2 handle with care!!!!

>Incidentally...can anyone confirm whether the fault_correlator_filter off
command actually >works? It doesn't seem to do anything on our system!?!

>regards paul

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 02-22-99
06:29 PM ---------------------------

Connie Logg <cal@SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> on 01-27-99 03:12:47 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM)

You might want to be ware of the following warning from cisco when it comes
to frequently polling the cisco switches:

---------------

>>polling of the supervisor module.
---

I have not been able to find out from cisco what they consider "excessive
polling"...

At 08:13 AM 1/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: data collection on switches
>

>>Hello,
>>

>>I believe that the figures I see are not the pure counter value.
>>They appear to be the change in the counter value since last poll devided
>>by the polling interval in seconds. ?
>>
>>Has anyone looked into this further or found documentation  ?
>>
>Right.  Say, you are collecting every five minutes.  What you will get is
>the average of the five minute interval.  This will, of course, level out
>peaks, but if you want to see peaks shorten the interval.  For example,
>collecting every thirty seconds will get you close to the sniffer level.
>would not recommend doing this except for short periods of time and
special
>cases.  A tremendous amount of data is produced.
>
>The basis of the question is what do you want to see.  Octets per second
on
>a net of
>so many bits per second allows you to see the load on the net on a timed
>basis.  If you are interested in see how many octets have went over the
net
>in a period of time, you can snmpwalk the counters on a snapshot basis.
You
>have to handle counter rollover which can occur frequently on a very busy
>network.  Some people handle it with scripts.  I handle it with COBOL
>programming.  Good luck and happy wading through all that data.
>
>Mel

" Of course the opinions expressed here are my own. "

Connie Logg    CAL@SLAC.Stanford.Edu  ph: 650-926-2879
Network Management and Performance Analyst
SLAC (MS 97), P.O. Box 4349, Stanford, CA 94309

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."