Re: Problems with ovstart on NetView 5.1: gives deamons UNS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problems with ovstart on NetView 5.1: gives deamons UNSTARTABLE,have to reboot.
From: Kathryn Cooksey <kathryn@TKG.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:28:58 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yes, we've seen this problem on NetView for NT.  The problem went away when I
followed the tips in the diagnosis guide and replaced the existing, apparently
corrupt  /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf file w/ a new one.  This fixed the problem even
though there were no obvious, *visible* problems with the file I replaced.
Another thing to check: I seem to recall that the daemons are also sensitive to
order, and that, for example, if the nvsecd isn't running, other daemons will
not start. So it may be that only one of your  daemons is misconfigured and its
absence is keeping the others from starting.

p.s. There are lots of other tips on daemon startup problems  in sect 4 of the
diagnosis guide.