Re: Netview 5.1 and Tivoli 3.2 TEC 3.1.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview 5.1 and Tivoli 3.2 TEC 3.1.1
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:15:19 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
What you just installed was NetView for NT 5.1, correct?   In that case,
the answer to your first two questions is basically that you have acquired
a misunderstanding from somewhere and confused what functionality is
available in NT versus UNIX.  See my replies to your questions.

1)I think that using Tivoli you can only install a NetView server, as a
Tivoli object, if it is a Unix system?

That's correct.  What were you expecting?  NT install is completely
different and does
not use the Framework. Only the UNIX flavors use the Framework.  So only a
UNIX version
could be installed via the Framework.

2)Forwarding event from Netview to TEC.  We used to use the tecad_nv6k
adapter, now with the new install we also have 'nvcord' daemon.  It seems
through tests that if we stop the tecad adapter nothing goes through, but
if we stop the 'nvcord' it does not seem to matter.  So I am not sure if
you can use both or what the differences are.  I thin that maybe 'nvcord'
is not fully configured yet.  Any thoughts?

The daemon is nvcorrd on UNIX and he has had the ability to forward to TEC
since NetView V4.1.2.  In NT he plays no part in TEC  forwarding.  NT uses
a port of the tecad_nv6k daemon from TEC, so you are correct that stopping
"nvcord" as the daemon is called in NT, has no effect on TEC forwarding.

3)I have noticed that since the install not all SNMP events go to TEC
anymore.  I am not sure if this is an OID file problem or what.  Still
looking into it.

Since this is handled exclusively by tecad_nv6k, that's where you should
start looking.

4) The new Tivoli menu under Netview was editable about three times, now
when I make changes they are not reflected, even after a reboot.  I deleted
the file and the functions that were working still are, the ones that are
not, still do not.  I modified the Tivoli.reg file but now I do not know
where that info is stored.

Sorry, I have no idea about this one.  Call Support if you don't get an
answer.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Doug Horn <Doug_Horn@HSBC.CA> on 03/05/99 01:54:02 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>

I have just recently updated my Netview from 5.0a to 5.1.  I also installed
TIPN, Tivoli Integration Package for Netview.

The install went fine and now I am just trying to figure out what functins
I get.

There are a couple of things I am trying to figure out:

1)I think that using Tivoli you can only install a NetView server, as a
Tivoli object, if it is a Unix system?

2)Forwarding event from Netview to TEC.  We used to use the teacd_nv6k
adapter, now with the new install we also have 'nvcord' daemon.  It seems
through tests that if we stop the tecad adapter nothing goes through, but
if we stop the 'nvcord' it does not seem to matter.  So I am not sure if
you can use both or what the differences are.  I thin that maybe 'nvcord'
is not fully configured yet.  Any thoughts?

3)I have noticed that since the install not all SNMP events go to TEC
anymore.  I am not sure if this is an OID file probelm or what.  Still
looking into it.

4)The new Tivoli menu under Netview was editable about three times, now
when I make changes they are not reflected, even after a reboot.  I deleted
the file and the functions that were working still are, the ones that are
not, still do not.  I modified the Tivoli.reg file but now I do not know
where that info is stored.

Any help on the above would be appreciated.

thnx
dug