Re: IX88166???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: IX88166???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:21:44 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yup.  Please see my append "Problem found in 5.1.1".  It was discovered on
Friday, APAR IX88166 was created,  and some of our best engineers worked
over the weekend to fix it.   The fix was applied to our systems and the
reporting customer system yesterday, and the results certified today.

The gist of it is that status propagation will fail on some routers (and
only on routers) when their interfaces change status.  They may stay green
even when their interfaces go red, or they may stay blue if unmanaged and
re-managed.  That is a horrible bug, I know.  That's why we worked so hard
to fix it as soon as it was discovered.

Only those customers who have already installed 5.1.1 are affected.
Shipment of 5.1.1 has been halted until a new copy can be used to replace
it in Software Distribution.

More details are in the "Problem found in 5.1.1" append I just sent.

On behalf of the entire Support organization, my apologies.  We have
already begun meetings to discuss how to prevent this kind of thing (a bug
of this magnitude going undetected in the Verification process) happening
again.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Art DeBuigny <debuigny@DALLAS.NET> on 03/09/99 06:11:27 PM