Re: NetView and Framework

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView and Framework
From: Peter Hadamovsky <Peter.Hadamovsky@DEBIS.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:44:23 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello James,

Ok let's try to clear some things up:

There is a managed node, which is at the moment member of a TMR region (lets say A), now there is an other TMR region (B). This managed node is a NetView Server - and as said a full member of TMR A.

Now I would like to know - is it possible to make this node a full qualified member of TMR B (by "unsubscribing" from TMR A - no longer needee there) - so that the NetView/Tivoli integration is still working?

The TMR regions are not connected and won't be connected (to make a perfect chaos).

As far as I am concerned I have to remove Tivoli and NetView from this box to reinstall this from the TMR B server!

Thanks for listening!

    Peter

James Shanks wrote:

I'm not certain I follow every thing you say, but the answer, as I see it,
is basically "no".

Whether NetView is on a TMR server or managed node, the Framework must be
installed there as well as the NetView patch.  This gives you the Tivoli
desktop from which to run the familiar "Configure Control Diagnose
Maintain" menus.    So you have to install Framework and the patch on the
new box.

You can migrate the NetView, but it is just as much work as the new install
if not more.  On the old box you use the Migration menu to create a backup
-  a large file called /usr/OV.back.v5r1
(or some such).  This you copy to the new machine and when you do your new
install there, the code will find the backup and merge it in, effectively
doing a migration of your "old NetView.
Don't delete the old one until you are satisfied with the new one.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Peter Hadamovsky <Peter.Hadamovsky@DEBIS.COM> on 03/09/99 02:12:27 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>