Re: Map icon cololrs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Map icon cololrs
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:56:48 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Regina King wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a way to change the color of a router
> manually.  What I have in mind is to chnage the color of the router to Admin
> Down when we have a scheduled maintenance or upgrade to a router, turning
> pink rather than red so our help desk does not think the router has a network
> failure.  Is this possible?

The best solution might be to unmanage the router while it is under maintenance
so that NetView ignores it. If you do not like the colour associated with an
unmanaged device you can change the appropriate resource in OVw. The ways of
doing this have been discussed recently.

An alternative would be a write a simple application to change the state of the
router to User1 ('good' state) or User2 ('bad' state). You would also have to
change the Status Source from Compound (Propagated) so that the state change
will be reflected in your display. I think you should be able to do this within
your
application, but I have not tried it. Again you might want to change the colour
representing the user state.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK