Re: Automatic Action on AIX.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Automatic Action on AIX.
From: Gil Irizarry <IRIZARRG@LABS.WYETH.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:09:54 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Gary;
  I do not have any answers for you, however, If you want to share the script,
I would gladly take a copy. I think that if you were to post it here no one
would mined.
Gil irizarry

>>> "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM> 03/16 10:43 AM >>>
What the script does is as follows:
1)  Re-tests the interface.
2)  Puts an entry for the interface in a file
    (node  interface status)
3)  Closes the file, and then waits around for a few minutes...
4)  When another instance of the program starts up  (for follow-on
    interfaces)... they see the file is already there, do steps 1-3 above
    and then exit  (i.e. they don't wait around).
5)  When the original process wakes up again "after a few minutes", it
    counts the number of interface up/downs that have occurred, and
    summarizes them, and sends out a single page (and/or) mail.  The message
    displays the Total/Up/Down Count, the page displays the 1st interface
that
    is down (if any), and the mail shows all interfaces and their status.
6)  Also.. along the way -- if an interface "bounces" (goes down/up within
    that few-minutes) it is ignored  (i.e. nothing is reported on it).
7)  Finally... the original file with the node info in it is deleted, so
    that the procedure can start clean the next time.

The result is:
1)  I re-test (ping with retries) all interfaces.
2)  I only page once for multipe interface events on a single node.
3)  I don't page at all on transient/bouncing events.

Regards,

Gary Boyles