Clearing Nways databases under AIX 4.3.2

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Clearing Nways databases under AIX 4.3.2
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:04:36 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We have Framework 3.6, NetView 5.1, Nways 1.2.2 (all parts) on an
RS/6000 43P-150 running AIX 4.3.2.  We are trying to clear both the ATM
and the Hub Manager databases using smit.

The Hub Manager database clear was failing with a number of messages
relating to LIBPATH - there is an identical problem on the the IBM
Networking site that was related to running /usr/bin/cml/nwsstatif  -
the resolution was to unset LIBPATH before running nv6000.  This seems
unacceptable as other parts of NetView may well need access to the
LIBPATH that Tivoli sets up.  We tried unsetting LIBPATH and running
smit again but got the same result (in both cases we were logged in as a
user and su'ed to root).  We finally managed to clear the Hub database
by logging on directly as root (which has no LIBPATH setup in it's
.profile).

Trying to clear the ATM database, the smit panel shows it finally
manages to stop ahmtopod, and clear a number of databases (upto clearing
a VLAN database), then it sits - we've given up after 40 minutes.
/usr/OV/bin/cmld is gobbling all the CPU.  Workaround to get this to
clear was a complete reboot and logon as root (as above) - the clear
then ran  to completion in less than a minute.

It looks like there may be a number of things from smit -> Nways that
are falling foul of the change in libraries resulting from AIX 4.3.x.??

Does anyone have any better workarounds?
Could anyone from development comment on better solutions to solve
LIBPATH problems - I don't really want to end up with 27 wrapper script
that unset LIBPATH.

Many thanks for any input,
Jane
--