Re: IP MAPs of a NETWORK

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: IP MAPs of a NETWORK
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:05:11 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Carlo -

This is a user-group, not an official Support channel.  No one owes you a
response.

NetView is designed to give you a logical picture of network connectivity.
This may not reflect how you actually have things wired.  But there is no
simple nor easy way to force it to draw anything else.

My advice is that you not create any submaps at all, but let NetView
automatically discover the network for you and build a default map. Do this
slowly.  Discovery will stop at each new set of routers. Then you can use
the GUI to make a copy of that map and use cut and paste to customize it
the way you want.  This is the sort of procedure that is outlined in the
Administrator's Guide.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support