Re: Transcend medp daemon and socket 1161

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Transcend medp daemon and socket 1161
From: Phat D Doan <pddoan@REGENCE.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:09:38 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Has anyone any idea how to find out what is using socket 1161?
There is a shareware "lsof" for AIX that you can use to find out what
application is using socket 1161.

Phat Doan

From: Roger Kearsley <KEARSR@SPCS.BRITISHSTEEL.CO.UK> on 03/23/99 07:01 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
cc:    (bcc: Phat D Doan/BCBSO/TBG)
Subject:  Transcend medp daemon and socket 1161

Roger Kearsley
03/23/99 03:01 PM

To:   nv-l @ ucsbvm.ucsb.edu
cc:

Since sometime last week we have had a problem in that the ATMvLAN Manager
mediation poller daemon (medp) continually fails with an error code of 255.
We have managed to ascertain that it is failing because the socket it uses
(1161) is already in use. A reboot of the server has had no effect; we have
attempted to change the socket number used by this daemon, but to no
effect, it insists on using 1161.

Has anybody come across this problem, and if so, have a solution?

Has anyone any idea how to find out what is using socket 1161?

We have not made any configuration changes.

We are running Netview 4.1.2, Transcend V4.2.2 on AIX 4.1.5.