Re: Java map/event browser access without ovw gui running

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Java map/event browser access without ovw gui running
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:03:55 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
No. What has to be running is ovw and the webquery and webserver stuff.
BUT... can't you
just reopen the map by exporting the display to the box you want it to
appear on and start
it up?  If I were worried about things falling over, I would just issue an
'ovstart' from time
to time. That would restart anything that wasn't running. Of course
investigating and fixing
such problems would be best. There are also internal events generated when
things
fail that you could automate to notify you and to issue ovstarts.. This
should not be
disruptive, I would hope.

Does anyone know what background processes I can run which can allow me to
use the Netview Java applets (map,events etc via Netscape ) without having
the ovw GUI running.

Is this possible at all ?

To make sure that any processes which may have died get restarted properly,
I stop and restart netview each evening via a cron job by running ovwexit
and then ovstop and ovstart, and in turn lose this functionality until
someone starts the gui again.

Any ideas ??

Mark