Re: Seedfile Issue

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Seedfile Issue
From: Rob Rinear <robr@DIRIGO.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:35:52 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
A range in a seedfile essentially filters what devices Netview will
discover, but will not force it to discover any nodes...to do that, you list
them individually, as you have noticed.

What are you trying to do with a seedfile...are you trying to get Netview to
discover a whole range of devices?  If so, I suggest creating a seedfile
with the IP address or hostname of a router in each subnet.  Once Netview
has discovered the routers, then demand poll them and Netview will discover
all the nodes in the router's arp cache/routing tables, which should be all
the active nodes.

Rob