Re: !@oid 0

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: !@oid 0
From: "Art C. DeBuigny" <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 06:59:01 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Carefull with using any OID's in your seed file.  If you use them, then
any and all nodes that do not fit your  OID seed entries will be added
to the database in the form of a hint.  Not as large of an object as a
full blown object, but an object none the less.  For me it created a
hint for every nonsnmp device in my network.  I went from a 40,000
object database to 120,000.  The ovmapcount to remove these hints took
hours.

The hints are created so that NetView won't try to discover them on its
next autodiscovery pass.

About the only way I can think of to catch all SNMP nodes if you don't
have IP addressing standards is to allow all items in, run scripts
against your objects to weed out isSNMPEnabled=False entries, and then
generate a customized seed file using a script.  Then you should
probably place your OID free seed file, and rediscover your network.

This does present a problem for new devices, though.  Will they be
within your seed file range?  Are you informed when new manageable
devices are added to the network?

I think I'm going to add a suggestion to the NetView suggestion mailbox.
Here is how I think it should work.....

Create a seperate database file for hints.  They would not need to be
cleaned.  They would not impact the boxes performance.  That way, OID's
could be used in a seed file without impacting the servers performance
(and database optimization times).

Good luck!

Art DeBuigny
Bank of America Network Operations