[NV v5] MIB objects and collections

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [NV v5] MIB objects and collections
From: Juan Echevarria <echevarria@ES.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:31:53 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Forumers,

  I'm collecting mib objects ifInOctets and ifOutOctets to be able to
monitor network traffic but I find some concerns:

1. although the definition says it's the total number of octets, collected
data show decimal figures
2. the collected data are generally low for the bandwith and network
traffic so I'm suspecting that ifInOctets and ifOutOctets provides not the
total number but the average (total divided by period of time).
Does anybody know another interesting mib for measuring network traffic or
% of utilization?

Thanks in advance,
Juan.

Juan Echevarría López