Re: [NV v5] MIB objects and collections

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [NV v5] MIB objects and collections
From: Nicaud Phil <pnicaud@WOOLWORTHS.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:29:33 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Juan

Octects collected will be the TOTAL number of octets since the last sample.
If you collect every say 30sec, you will see the collection value go up and
down.

Network bandwidth may look low if you're using data compression.
IfIn/OutOctects will give you the physical transmitted data, not the actual
data sent at IP Level. Also, the collected data is average over the
collected period. The faster you collect, the more accurate the data but the
more bandwidth you use on the Network collecting the information... Catch
22.

% bandwidth is calculated by taking the actual # of octect with respect to
the line speed. EG 64K is 8K octects/sec so 10,000 octect collected over 10
sec is 1K/sec or 1/8x100% of util.

For bandwidth monitoring, there's a great freeware package called MRTG. You
can find it on http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html

Phil

CAUTION: This Message may contain confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any
use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is
prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify
Mail Administrators immediately. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily
reflect the views of Woolworths Ltd.