Re: Netview migration script for NV5

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview migration script for NV5
From: Mark Sklenarik <Mark_Sklenarik@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:17:24 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
You are going to have to wait for a outage of at least all the NetView and
associated products.  You do not have to stop AIX. The NetView backup
utility requires that all GUIs and NetView associated deamons be stopped
for backup. There is a long list of reason for this. The main and must
important is that the backup does a complete check of the NetView databases
to ensure that we have a good database before migration to 5.1. This
procedure requires the deamons to be stopped.  The second reason is that
while some NetView processes are running the configuration files can be
locked, so that a copy of the file may fail.

If you are prepared it should take no longer than 30 minutes to get a
backup, and restart NetView.
Make sure you have enough disk space available. Do a "du -a -k" from within
the /usr/OV directory to get a rough idea of the disk space that is going
to be required to create backup, than add 20%, you will get this back once
you have completed a successful migration, (the backup files can be removed
from system).  By defalt the backup is in /usr/OV.back.v4r1, this can be
either a new filesystem or part of /usr

Tivoli Verification - RTP

Rob Wilkinson <Rob.Wilkinson@MBS.GOV.ON.CA> on 03/31/99 03:15:15 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>