Re: PingsBehind and SNMPBehind

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: PingsBehind and SNMPBehind
From: Jim Kellock <jkellock@IBM.NET>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:46:16 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Remove any netmon.trace from /usr/OV/log, then, with netmon running,
enter from the command line <netmon -a xx>.  If netmon isn't too hung
up, this should generate a new netmon.trace file that will contain what
you want.  the xx is maximum flags.

There will four sections of interest- PingWait and Ping, and SnmpWait
and Snmp.
In the Ping and Snmp lists, the number in the left-most column is the
number of second until the scheduled ping of the listed device.  If the
numbers are negative, you're behind.  This can be normal at startup with
a big database (that's the Synchronizing going on), and can be mitigated
by adjusting your polling with xnmsnmpconf.  The two Wait sections (grep
on Wait) can get populated if there are things netmon thinks ought to be
there or ought to be SNMP but for which polls don't work.  ALso, routers
with big routing tables can show up in the SNMPWait list.

Can happen, too, if you have non-SNMP devices in the seed file, if
communities on hardware have changed, or if things are down or
unreachable and netmon is doing retries.