Re: Does anyone know what mib/trap files from cisco andbayw

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Does anyone know what mib/trap files from cisco andbayworkwith Netview for NT 5.1?
From: "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVIDENTBANKMD.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:06:45 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I replace the merge_trap with Add_trap on all lines and it appears to have
worked.

>>> Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> 04/13 3:14 PM >>>
This script defines a function, merge_trap, which calls the Netview addtrap
command. Then it calls the merge_trap function many, many times. I just
used
it recently on a Netview for AIX system and it worked perfectly. The
addtrap
command exists on Netview for NT. What won't work on NT is the fact that
this is a shell script.

Maybe some kind soul will take a look at this script and give us a revision
that runs on NT. Cisco has not done this for us, apparently.

Another alternative: if you are only getting a couple of different traps
from your
devices, you can look at this script, find the trap you are interested in,
and
enter it using the GUI (Options.. Event Configuration). All of the info you
need is
in the event card you get for the unformatted traps from the devices.

Incidentally, if you are looking to get traps that you are not seeing, this
is not
a Netview issue. You have to configure the device to send you the traps you
want. Cisco in particular has great flexibility in what it sends and where.
Netview
cannot cause them to send traps, only format them when they arrive. See the
Cisco help libraries for how to do this.

The only file there is trap.script--is this it? In the file it uses
merge_trap, I'm wondering if I need to replace this with addtrap ?

>>> Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> 04/13 11:45 AM >>>
MIB files are flat ascii files, and as long as you ftp them correctly
for your platform, there should be no problem loading them in Netview
for NT.

For traps, Cisco provides some help at:

http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/contrib
There is a script traps.sh that issues the Netview addtrap command
for lots and lots of their traps. That would need some modification
to run on NT, but would not be too hard, I don't think.
There is also trapd.41x, which is a trapd.conf designed for HP V4.
You could look at that, and copy needed sections of it into your
trapd.conf file, as an alternative. Make a backup first. You will
need to add some Enterprises to go along with the traps. I think the
fields are the same, but you will want to verify that.

Best bet I think, is to alter the simple traps.sh to run as a bat file
or a perl script on NT.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 04-13-99

"Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVIDENTBANKMD.COM> on 04-13-99 11:23:50 AM