Re: CiscoWorks 2000 and netview integration ???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: CiscoWorks 2000 and netview integration ???
From: "Whitehead, Neil" <whitern@RBOS.CO.UK>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:44:09 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Depends what you mean by "integration"...differnt vendors have different
interpretations (some of them are very loose indeed!).

I installed CW2000 as an upgrade to an existing CW4 installation.

Part of CW2000 is the CiscoView product. This does include a lot of symbol
bitmaps, trap definitions and MIB definitions and this installed without any
problems and seems to work with NetView without too much additional
tweaking. Additionally you do get a new menu option launch CiscoView
directly from the map when a Cisco device is selected.

As far as the Traffic Director, CWSI and Resource Manager parts of the
CW2000 package are concerned I haven't seen any integration at all (beyond
the fact that it can co-reside on the same box as NetView, unless you count
the launch buttons provided within CiscoView which can be launched from
NetView....). But this may not be as big an issue as you first think....bear
in mind that the Resource Manager bit is WEB enabled so if you have a WEB
browser on your machine it should be a very simple matter to create an ARF
to Launch your browser and target the selected object.

These are just my initial impressions I'm still trying to get to grips with
all the functionality that CW2000 offers .... (thought I'd better get that
in before Cisco start sending people round to visit me ....)

Neil Whitehead (x22808)
IT Services (Telecoms)
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Tel: 0131-523 2808