Re: Version 5.1.1 for NT Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Version 5.1.1 for NT Problem
From: OGrant <OGrant@PEC.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:39:04 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I've never seen that message before, but in my experience, sql server (I
assume you're running that with netview/nt) needs some routine maintenance
to keep it functioning smoothly.  In particular, you'll have to ensure that
the transaction log doesn't run out space (otherwise, you may be prevented
from writing to that particular database).  I don't remember the exact
sequence, but most configurations for sql server are done through its
enterprise manager (I believe).  On a few occasions, enterprise manager
prevented me from changing the database settings due to full transaction
logs -- I was locked out, in short, with no apparant way of clearing the
error through the gui.  In those instances I ran some sql server scripts via
isql to manually dump the transaction logs, and then expand the size of the
database(s)/transaction log(s).

The info above might not be helpful - are you getting any error messages in
NT's event log concerning netview/sql server?  Also, can you tell how many
events are currently stored in the events database (contained in the Netview
schema)?  snmpodump should be configured to periodically dump the event log,
as well as the sql database.  You've probably set it up properly, but check
AT (or WINAT) for the snmpodump command.

Oliver