Re: Duplicate IP msg

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Duplicate IP msg
From: Bill Clifton <bill_clifton@INS.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:12:15 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Ken,
My experience with NetView dup ip msgs has been that when netmon does a config
check (by default every 24 hours) and it finds interface tables with duplicate
addresses it will send the traps you mention.  In my case, it was because
someone
previously had entered numerous router interface addresses separately into
the /etc/hosts file for the same router.  NetView (5.0 in my case) sends
the duplicate ip traps.
Demand poll will reproduce the problem but not in your case, since NetView
shows
the device as down.  If you can get a look at the arp cache on the local
router for
the HP system, see if the mac address is consistent or if it changes when
you ping it -if
it's pingable, and you can begin to track it down. on cisco, the command is
'sh arp', on Bay routers 'sho ip arp' if you have either of those router
types.
hth,
Bill
At 01:08 PM 4/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got an HP3000 that's reporting a duplicate IP address at the console.
>Netview is reporting (source = netmon) that the HP interface and node are
>down.  I'm not sure which one is right.  In the past, I have recieved traps
>from netmon reporting dup ip's.  What mechanism does Netview use to detect
>dup's and are there any config options?
>
>TIA

Bill Clifton                            20350 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 230
Network Systems Consultant      Woodland Hills, CA 91364
International Network Services  Phone 818-226-1230
                                        Fax   818-226-1233
                                        Alpha Pager:  1-800-467-1467
                                        Email: bill_clifton@ins.com
"If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going
to stop them " - Yogi Berra