Re: DEFAULT_IP: : :U Clarification

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: DEFAULT_IP: : :U Clarification
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:33:34 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This entry in the oid_to_type file just causes newly-discovered non-snmp
nodes
(or snmp nodes which the management station is not authorized to reach) to
be
added to the map in an unmanaged state. What happens to them after that is
beyond the control of this funciton.

This entry must have blanks between the colons, as these are placeholders
for
the vendor and agent fields.

This function is available and working in all releases of Netview for AIX.
I have
heard rumors (and witnessed it myself) that it does not work in Netview for
NT.
I don't know for sure, and discovery on NT is a bit more primitive in some
respects than it is on Unix, so maybe it is not supposed to work. Someone
should follow up in this with Support if it is not working and they need
it.

To exclude the discovery of non-snmp nodes altogether, you are better off
on
Unix. You can put the entry in the seedfile
!@oid 0
to exclude discovery of non-snmp nodes.
To include all snmp-enabled object, use this entry
@oid 1.3.6.*
These two entries seem to give different results, so I use the negative.
I believe, but I may be wrong, that the positive entry will override
address ranges that you intended to be restrictive.

On NT, you do not have these fancy seefile options. You only have two
kinds:
the starter-type, where you list some routers to kick things off and it
goes from
there, depending on which networks you manually manage, and the explicit
type, where you list all the nodes you want and check the box that says
discover ONLY what is in the seedfile. No wildcards, not excludes, no
ranges.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 04/26/99

Gil Irizarry <IRIZARRG@LABS.WYETH.COM> on 04/26/99 10:11:20 AM