Re: read-rfc1918-for-details.iana.net

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: read-rfc1918-for-details.iana.net
From: Dave Luiz <daveluiz@JPS.NET>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:30:07 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>From what I've learned, IANA has been "silently discarding" resolution
requests for all private networks specified in rfc1918.
After seeing these illegal requests climb in number, they decided to
start
enforcing policy and began to answer these resolution requests with
"read-rfc1918-for-details.iana.net". After much public uproar, it was
backed
off. IANA is giving time to organizations to have vendors fix code
affected by
this change. I hear Openview customers had major grief with the product
going
into name resolution/object update loops. I was also told that IANA will
again
be answering requests for private networks soon and this time will not
be
backed off.  Hope that helps!