nv-list

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nv-list
From: Roger Campagnoni <Roger_Campagnoni@COUNTRYWIDE.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:43:35 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
CAUTION: Newbie to the mailing list - question.

I need clarification on the /usr/OV/conf/seed_file.

Currently we have placed all of our Core Routers backbone
IP Addresses in the seed_file in which NetView's discovery
process properly detected these routers, and placed the appropriate
logical links to their corresponding neighbors.

We are attempting to detect devices with specific IP Ranges on
already discovered networks.  However their are not being discovered
even after several days.  I placed in the seed_file (10.70.1-254.245-254 ),
hoping to discover the following devices (10.70.11.245, 10.70.12.245,
10.70.21.245).
But alas none has been discovered.

I did read the trick, to place the IP Address of a device you want to
quickly
discover at the bottom of the seed_file and then bounce netview through
smit.  That does seem to work properly.

So for the sake of sanity what am I doing wrong?
Is the "10.70.1-254.245-254" statement in the seed_file not valid?
Could I use "10.70.*.*" ?
Or am I deemed to have to enter devices like "10.70.11.245" ,
"10.70.12.245" etc, etc.  (Which I doubt).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger Campagnoni/IT/CF/CCI on 04/30/99

Gil Irizarry <IRIZARRG@LABS.WYETH.COM> on 04/30/99 05:51:00 AM