Re: nv-list (address ranges in seedfile

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nv-list (address ranges in seedfile
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:53:57 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This qualifies as a Frequently Asked Question, but I don't see
mention of it on the Tivoli Customer Support website so I'm copying
netview@tivoli.com

Clarification:
You may put address ranges or wildcards in the seedfile, both
positive and negative. The thing to understand is that ranges
are used as filters. They don't force discovery. When netview
hears from a new address, it will check those ranges to see if
it should be added.

In real life this means that, at least for initial discovery,
you will want to generate a list of 'silent' devices, like hubs
and switches, and force their discovery with an explicit seedfile.
Then remove those entries and replace them with a range. If a new
'silent' device is put on the network, you may need to ping it
from the command line, and netview will hear from the device and the
range will allow it to be added. Note, also, that positive ranges
are exclusive. That means you will need to have ranges that cover
ALL nodes you want to allow. Negative ranges just exclude the
addresses in those ranges. (Negative ranges start with !)

On NT, the ping-spray option can take the place of explicit
lists or pinging from the commandline.

Changes to the seedfile do not cause deletion from the
database, either. Read more about seedfile processing in
a few places: Help for netmon configuration from the Tivoli
context menu, the netmon man page, and references to 'seedfile'
in the online manuals for Unix, and in the sample
\usr\ov\conf\netmon.seed on NT.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 04/30/99

Philip Guerra <pguerra@dev.tivoli.com> on 04/30/99 01:14:45 PM