Re: nv-list (address ranges in seedfile)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nv-list (address ranges in seedfile)
From: YEO Khee Seng <yeoks@RALEIGH.IBM.COM>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 12:54:11 +0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Oh yes, you _CAN_ put a range of ip address to include.
It just that there are 2 platforms & you have to put
your statement in the right context.

1.  Placing ip_addr range works for UNIX (even in ver 4).  Lots of
people do this when want to monitor key devices & nothing else.
When an ip addr range is added, basically nv will not
discover outside of this range.  This limit discovery to a
list  of specific IP addresses without turning New Node Discovery off.
Unix also have the exclude functionality.  !ip_range

2.  As for NT, only the exclude exist at this time.  !ip_range_to_exclude

: You can put the ip's of a device you want to discover in the seed file.  You
: CAN'T put in a range of ip's for devices you want to discover.
:
: Sample:
: #Stuff I want to discover
: 192.9.100.1
: 192.9.100.2
: 192.9.100.3
: #DHCP stuff
: @192.9.100.4-50
: #Stuff I don't want to discover
: !192.9.100.50-255
:
:
: All I was try to say is that you can't do:
: #Stuff I want to discover
: 192.9.100.1-3
:
:
: If you still have the seed file that came with Netview, the top section of
that
: file describes what you can and can't do with regard to the seed file.
:
: Philip Guerra
: Senior TME Deployment Engineer
: IT-Austin
: Tivoli Systems, Inc.
:
:
:
:
: Roger Campagnoni wrote:
:
: > Thanks for the reply
: > So this would be the inverse in the seed_file?
: > Place a range of ip address that I do not want to discover in the seed_file
: > ?!?
: > I am not sure but it doesn't seem right, as I was able to discover a device
: > by placing
: > the devices ip addresses in the seed_file, which the system did discover.
: >
: > For the sake of argument, does anyone know the proper syntax for the
: > seed_file?
: >
: > Philip Guerra <pguerra@dev.tivoli.com> on 04/30/99 10:14:45 AM
: >
: > To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
: > cc:    (bcc: Roger Campagnoni/IT/CF/CCI)
: > Subject:  Re: nv-list
: >
: > If I am not mistaken you can't have ranges of ip addresses, that you want
: > discover, in the seed file.  You can have ranges for address you don't want
: > discover or DHCP ranges but not ranges for machines you want to discover.
: >
: > Philip Guerra
: > Senior TME Deployment Engineer
: > IT-Austin
: > Tivoli Systems, Inc.
: >
: > Roger Campagnoni wrote:
: >
: > > CAUTION: Newbie to the mailing list - question.
: > >
: > > I need clarification on the /usr/OV/conf/seed_file.
: > >
: > > Currently we have placed all of our Core Routers backbone
: > > IP Addresses in the seed_file in which NetView's discovery
: > > process properly detected these routers, and placed the appropriate
: > > logical links to their corresponding neighbors.
: > >
: > > We are attempting to detect devices with specific IP Ranges on
: > > already discovered networks.  However their are not being discovered
: > > even after several days.  I placed in the seed_file (10.70.1-254.245-254
: > ),
: > > hoping to discover the following devices (10.70.11.245, 10.70.12.245,
: > > 10.70.21.245).
: > > But alas none has been discovered.
: > >
: > > I did read the trick, to place the IP Address of a device you want to
: > > quickly
: > > discover at the bottom of the seed_file and then bounce netview through
: > > smit.  That does seem to work properly.
: > >
: > > So for the sake of sanity what am I doing wrong?
: > > Is the "10.70.1-254.245-254" statement in the seed_file not valid?
: > > Could I use "10.70.*.*" ?
: > > Or am I deemed to have to enter devices like "10.70.11.245" ,
: > > "10.70.12.245" etc, etc.  (Which I doubt).
: > >
: > > Any help would be appreciated.
: > >
: > > Thanks
: > >
: > > ---------------------- Forwarded by Roger Campagnoni/IT/CF/CCI on
: > 04/30/99
: > > 09:10 AM ---------------------------
: > >
: > > Gil Irizarry <IRIZARRG@LABS.WYETH.COM> on 04/30/99 05:51:00 AM
: > >
: > > To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
: > > cc:    (bcc: Roger Campagnoni/IT/CF/CCI)
: > > Subject:  nv-list
: > >
: > > I had the same problem. I am told that we do not have an authoritative
: > > server for network 10 with out internal network. My solution was to
: > include
: > > all router ip addresses in my /etc/hosts file.
: > > Gil Irizarry
: > >
: > > >>> Massimo Carnevali <Massimo.Carnevali@COMUNE.BOLOGNA.IT> 04/30 8:45 AM
: > > >>>
: > > I too noticed this problem. It seems that for a small perdiod of days
: > > trying to resolve
: > > internal addresses (like 10.*.*.*) on the external world gave that
: > answer.
: > > Check your DNS inverse ip resolution, may be it is asking outside what it
: > > should
: > > keep inside.
: > > Hope this helps.
: > > Massimo Carnevali - IBM Global Services -Italy

--
YEO Khee Seng                           yeoks@raleigh.ibm.com
The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of IBM.