Security and Inventory/Asset Management

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Security and Inventory/Asset Management
From: D J Sparg <dsparg@NETACTIVE.CO.ZA>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:08:44 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi All,

I have two questions:

1) My client is looking for a network security solution as in managing access
to their routers, switches, etc. They have a variety of equipment including
Cisco, Bay, Newbridge, Nortel, Micom. Xyplex, 3Com, etc. I know that certain
vendors eg. Cisco provide their own security protocol eg TACACS+  BUT has
anyone come across a security product that could protect access to all network
resources irrespective of vendor?
2) Same client is also looking for inventory/asset management of their network
resources. They want a central asset database which would get populated from a
number of data sources e.g. NetView, OpenView, etc. I know that there are a
number of asset and inventory tools out there, including Tivoli Inventory - BUT
my perception is that these products are oriented towards servers and desktops
and don't cater that well for network resources. Any info or views on this
subject would be very welcome.

Thanks

Debbie Sparg
Cell:      082-570-4559