Re: [Fwd: NV evnets default Rule name: for a user]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: NV evnets default Rule name: for a user]
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:55:00 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Bill Painter wrote:

> Subject: NV evnets default Rule name: for a user
> Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 10:35:52 -0400
> From: Bill Painter <william.t.painter@lmco.com>
> To: "NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU" <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>
> How is the default Rulename set in the evnet manager for a user. I know
> that it is set for the application in /usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents for
> the application.   I was under the impression that the line,
>
> nvevents.correlationRule   : default.rs
>
> could be modified in the .Xdefaults of the user to allow for
> custumization of the default rule but this does not seem to be working.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bill P.
> william.t.painter@lmco.com
> Unix Admin Lockheed Martin

Another approach is to set up an app-defaults directory for each user, copy
Nvevents into it and make any edits you want. I have some environment
variables set up that tell X which app-defaults to use. I cannot remember how
they were set up or whether both are needed, but here they are.

XUSERFILESEARCHPATH=%N:/users/jonn/app-defaults/%N:/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N:

XAPPLRESDIR=/users/jonn/app-defaults

I guess it is all about personal preference, but I think this approach has
some maintenance advantages.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK