Re: Ruleset to forward Traps in NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset to forward Traps in NT
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 15:10:06 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I assume you mean that what you want to do is to check to see if the source
of the trap, or the interface it is about, is in the address range
172.25.*.* and then forward it if it is, else not forward it.
Unfortunately this capability is not within NetView on any platform.

You are confused about what rulesets can and cannot do, and about how trap
forwarding works in NetView.

Rulesets cannot be used to affect trap forwarding on either NT or UNIX,
unless what you are doing is forwarding events to TEC, which is NOT the
same thing as forwarding a trap to another NetView.  A TEC event is
specially-formatted thing and can only be read by TEC, not another NetView.
In NT forwarding to TEC is not affected by rulesets and is done by
tecad_nv6k.exe.  In UNIX TEC forwarding is controlled by rulesets and the
slot map values set in trapd.conf.

Trap forwarding in NetView is handled by trapd daemon in UNIX and by the
trapfrwd daemon in NT.   Neither of these gives you the option to forward
traps by address range.   Instead, you select the enterprise id and
specific trap numbers to forward as well as the destination to forward to.
On NT, look in the /usr/ov/conf/trapfrwd.conf file for details.   Also,
even in 5.1.1 this is not working quite right, so if you try it and you
don't get exactly the ones you want after you configure the file, then call
Support and get the latest efix for trapfrwd.exe.

Hope this helps
James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM> on 05/06/99 02:42:38 PM