Re: backup and restore NetView databases

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: backup and restore NetView databases
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:00:08 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
What you must do is stop at least netmon and snmpCollect, and then backup
the entire /usr/OV/databases/openview  directory.  All of it.  The object
database, topology database, and map database are all tied together and
should not be dealt with separately.

There are several ways to backup /usr/OV/databases/openview.  You can use
the AIX backup and restore commands. You can also use tar, but as these are
sparse file systems, restoring with tar will cause them to use more space
than they did originally.  To avoid this you can use pax to restore them.

For example, you could do this

 cd /usr/OV/databases/openview
 tar -cvf <filename> *                        this tars up everything into
your file

 pax -vf <filename>     (same as tar -tvf <filename>)   you can use pax or
tar to see the contents of your file

 pax -rp e -f <filename>  (like tar -xvf <filename>)         restore with
pax and don't forget the 'e' option to restore the permissions.

When you restore all the daemons should be down.

If you are trying to move the database to another NetView machine to
replace what is there, then after you restore the database,
you should start the daemons and run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci  so that the
NetView which now has this database will recognize it as
his.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Theo Odendaal <theoo@IMPOTEK.CO.ZA> on 05/12/99 09:39:39 AM