Re: CPU and Disk Utilisation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: CPU and Disk Utilisation
From: Steve Francis <steve.francis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:49:16 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The Sun snmp agent is lame.  A very minimal snmp mib supported.  It does not
directly tell you things like CPU utilization (but you could derive it from the
process table it does support) or, as I recall, disk utilization. (Depending on
what you mean by that: KB of I/O per second per disk?  % used of a file
system?)  I think the sun agent does suppoort the former, but not the latter.

My recommendation is to get a better agent.  FOr Solaris, I like the the Empire
technologies agent, or the IBM SIA.  Or there are the tivoli agents, which I
haven't used on SOlaris.  All these solutions support what you want, very
simply (with one MIB value to poll) and much, much more.

If you dont want to buy new agents, you can write some cron scripts running on
the target system to achieve the same thing, but that depends on how much time
you hjave to invest in this project.