Re: Delete after x days (was: remove a host from all maps via

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Delete after x days (was: remove a host from all maps via command line ??)
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 23:48:31 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
There is a configuration option, in with the snmp configuration options,
that says delete after x days. The default is one week. I usually set
it to a really long time, and then tell the customer to manually delete
things they know they have removed from the network.

But I question your approach. Netview is pretty capable of  dynamically
discovering new devices, and applying the names in your hosts file.
I would not want to do this manually. There must be better ways to
handle your particular environment. Others on this forum can
probably suggest some.

So what determines when IPMAP removes a node from a map???
If I have a node down for 2 weeks I don't want it deleted automatically.

I can't be off the wall for wanting this function.

Jeff Fitzwter
Princeton University