Network Monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Network Monitoring
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 23:56:05 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Debbie, here's a list of resource I give to my customers:
Netview Support

__ AIX support: call 1800-CALLAIX
__ Tivoli Framework and Netview support: register at www.tivoli.support.com
       for electronic support, or call 1800-TIVOLI8
__ Netview public listserver: see separate section of this document. This is a
     good place to ask questions and share experiences with your peers. The
      skill level of the participants ranges from novice to IBM Support Level 3.
__ Education is available from Tivoli for this product. See
 http://www.tivoli.com
 The course is called TME 10 Netview for Unix for Implementers.
__ The product manuals are installed online (dtext at cmdline, or Help from the
 map)
__ Redbooks SG24-4515 Examples of Using Netview for AIX V4 and SG24-4398
 IBM Systems Monitor: Anatomy of a Smart Agent are available from IBM
 and still relevant. See http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
__ Redbook SG24-5285 Integrated Management Solutions Using Netview V5.1
     came out 3/99. See http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
__Device vendor websites (faq, mib monitoring)

Nways Support:
__ Nways Manager for AIX support: Call 1800-CALLAIX, ask for help with Nways
 and/or visit
 http://www.networking.ibm.com/support/products.nsf/support/home?OpenDocument
__ The redbook SG24-5302 Network Management Using Nways Management Applications
 is available from IBM. See http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
__ Education is available from IBM for this product. See
 http://www-3.ibm.com/services/learning/edushome.htm and use the searchword
 Nways.
 You will see a few Nways classes inlcuding SX251 Using Nways Manager for AIX.

Hello,

I'm planning to set up network monitoring of our routers, switches, and hubs
using NetView for AIX.   What is the best approach to tackle this?

I'm running AIX 4.2.1, NetView 5.1.1, and Nways 1.2 on a 7025-F50 RS/6000.
Would someone please share their experience and recommend any manuals,
Redbooks, other, that are good references?

Thanks!

Debbie

Debra Evankovich
Network Analyst