Re: cisco and bay devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: cisco and bay devices
From: Peter Hadamovsky <Peter.Hadamovsky@DEBIS.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:45:14 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi David,

Thanks for the information where to get the bay MIBs.

The second part of my mail with the bitmap files and so on means:

If I get nice bitmaps for lets say a bay device, have a blank NetView without
any
Add On's it would be nice to integrate these bitmaps into NetView to have the
proper devices on the sreen then!
It actually is a basic question how to integrate some other bitmap files
(instead
of this fancy gateway bitmap) for any other devices ...!

Thanks a lot
    Peter

David Easter wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>   MIBs for Bay Networks devices can be found on
> http://support.baynetworks.com if you have a support contract.  They also
> come with Optivity NMS.
>
>   I don't really understand the question about bitmaps of "Optivity".
> Optivity is the brand name for a line of network management products - most
> commonly referring to Optivity NMS.  With Optivity NMS comes the icons for
> most of the Bay Networks devices.  When you install Optivity NMS, these
> icons are automatically placed in the correct directories for NetView.
> With the "Update Symbols" function provided by Optivity NMS, icons in
> NetView can then be updated to correctly show Bay Networks devices.
>
> Hope that answers the question...
>
> -David J. Easter
> Sr. Product Manager - Optivity NMS, Network & IP Services Management Division
> Bay Networks/Nortel Networks - How the world shares ideas.
>
> -=-Regarding-=-
>
> At 08:28 AM 4/16/99 +0100, Peter Hadamovsky wrote:
> >Hello NetView users,
> >
> >I just finished a NetView server installation on a Solaris machine. In
> >the network are approx. 40 cisco routers and the same number of bay
> >hubs.
> >
> >Which MIB's do I need for the cisco and bay devices?
> >
> >If run a snmpwalk on a cisco 7500 router it shows the following
> >information:
> >
> >.iso.org.internet.private.enterprise.cisco.products.45 <<----
> >so I think, there is something missing in one of the oid_to_x files?
> >
> >The cisco routers are recognized as gateways, but the bay routers are
> >not recognized. I changed the /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym file - but the
> >bay hubs are still not recognized!
> >
> >Another question is, that the customer would like to have the bitmaps of
> >cisco works and optivity - no problem to get the bitmaps, but what to do
> >do integrate them into NetView, so that they will be used?
> >Is it a big thing to integrate it?
> >
> >Thanks a lot in advance!
> >
> >Best regards
> >
> >    Peter
> >
> >--
> >
> > mailto:Peter.Hadamovsky@debis.com

 mailto:Peter.Hadamovsky@debis.com
 GSS GmbH
 Office: Fasanenweg 9 70771 Leinfelden-Echterdingen
 Phone/Fax: +49 711 972  -3525   /  -1930
 Mobile: +49 171 6943 156