Re: Topology database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Topology database
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:33:22 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Discover the node by whichever address you think of as the 'main'
address. Do this by putting it in the seedfile, stopping netmon,deleting
the node, and starting netmon.

Set up name resolution so that all of the addresses resolve
to that same name. Set up name resolution so that the name always
resolves to the same address. In /etc/hosts, that is done by putting
the address you like ahead of the rest of the addresses.  Now if
Netview gets the urge to change the name of the router because it
heard from one of the other interfaces, the lookup of that address will
just give back the same name so nothing will change. This can be done
in DNS, but it is often done incorrectly, or is not important enough to the
DNS people to care about.  Or they may be doing 'round-robin' name
resolution. That's why I suggest testing it out in /etc/hosts. It is simpler.

I don't know exactly what kicks off the change. And I would not
bother naming a very large number of interfaces. Just the ones
that it seems to switch to.  Changing names cause problems for
data collection, event processing, etc. Also, Netview only goes looking
for a name for the first address it discovers a node by. It does not
search the address table looking for other names. If it hears from an
address, it will look that up. There are a lot of lookups associated
with an incoming trap. But most of your virtual addresses netview will
never hear from.

That's all I know about that. Someone else?

Thanks Leslie, but before I proceed to make changes I would like to
understand what is going on. Lets say I have a router with several
interfaces register under different names; only its main interface is in a
seed file for discovery purposes. Is Netview going to change the router's
name to one of the interface's name? since any interface could reply to
pings or other queries. The router has only one physical ATM interface with
hundreds of LEC's.  The IpAdEntIfIndex variable shows every interface
number and network. If Netview uses values from ifIndexes and ipIndexes for
reverse dns lookups, any registered interface name on the router could
become the router's name; I think this is what is happening. Is there any
way to avoid this? Or I have to delete the dns entries for these interfaces.

Thanks for any explanation.

.